Sealing Finish Grain on
Your WoodTurning Blanks

I was out collecting some woods for turning the other day. Found a pino or fir tree nigh 12″ at widest end cut up in ii, iii and 4 foot lengths. Just what I was looking for.

I got some ash and beech a couple months ago. A neighbor was cut downwards some small trees and I grabbed some pick pieces. I brought them home and stuck them off to the side and forgot about them. I figured I would seal the ends when I got around to it.

Guess what, I never got around to it and information technology looks like the pieces will be ruined for forest turning. Very disappinted since I had some burls and other pieces that looked interesting. And so reminder to cocky …..always seal the ends right abroad!

Anchor Sealer for end grain sealingSo, I grabbed my new pine pieces. Had some quondam Latex paint laying effectually and promtly painted the ends to seal them. The theory goes like this. The ends will dry quicker while the wood in the middle of the log stays nice and wet. Y'all've got some uneven move due to the dryness and continual drying going on and then something has to requite …..you ususally see information technology right in the end of your cut logs.

If it hasn't been besides long you can still seal it or better yet, cut off an inch or two and encounter what it looks like, yous might notice that the log is still "bank check" gratuitous. Make sure you seal that puppy right away 🙂

What to utilize for sealing end
grain on wood blanks?

Basically you tin use whatever ole paint you have laying around for finish sealing, some swear by it others call up a commercial end sealer is ameliorate. Put in on thick and store it outside under cover if you can. A adept identify to observe cheap paint is your local Home Depot, Menards or Lowes ….any hardware store volition have paint that someone returned or didn't become mixed correct. A gallon of paint goes a long way when sealing ends.

I've tried spray pigment and it works, just unless yous can pick up a tin can for $.25 or so, it really isn't worth it.

I'm on a facebook group for sawyers, portable sawmills. These guys get 10′, fifteen′, 20′ or more than length of trees that are 36″ or more than in diameter and they still seal the ends otherwise the checking and cracking can ruin much of the log.

These guys use the aforementioned thing us woodturner's would employ, erstwhile pigment …except they're looking for 5 gallon deals! I would say 70 to fourscore% of these guys use latex paint on their slabs and other produced woods and stock tree trunks!

AnchorSeal Stops Logs from
Checking and Splitting

There is a commercial product made specifically for sealing the end of wet woods, wether small stuff like we use or whole tree trunks. I believe it's chosen "anchorseal". Seems as though they have several different versions of Anchor Seal now and information technology looks like information technology ranges from $25 to $35 dollars. If I was doing a projection where I wanted to be admittedly certain in that location was non splitting, checking or cracking I would use Anchor Seal.. just for my budget and normal woodturning I practice I will go along to use paint I accept laying around. Maybe when the old paint is no longer available and I get rich, I'll switch over to AnchorSeal!

Hither's a guy who did a quick video using AnchorSeal for Stop Grain Sealing from Peter Matthew

Using Glue to Seal Log Ends
to Foreclose Splitting

Rick from RickTurns shows u.s.a. another way to seal end grain on your woodturning logs using Elmers Glue. Notice the nice little jig he set upwards to slice his logs into slabs and other usable features. A pretty interesting video since he actually performed some tests on the best method to keep logs from splittng!

GreenWood End Sealer Stops
Splitting on Moisture Wood

At that place are a lot of great reviews for Rockler's Green Wood End Sealer. A product similar to AnchorSeal merely cheaper. Side by side fourth dimension they accept free commitment I think I volition catch a gallon to use on some of my choice wood finds. Or I could go downwardly to the local Rockler store to go some 🙂

Check out some of these reviews.

http://shrsl.com/?if28

I take ever used Rockler Greenish…

I have always used Rockler Light-green Wood stop sealer or Anchorseal to seal the ends of my forest. It will seal the wood from nifty until y'all are prepare to use it. Some other advantage is, I believe it keeps bugs out of the woods. I don't know this every bit fact, but it merely seems then. The wood I bring in is not merely crevice complimentary simply bug gratis. I don't know if Rockler'south product is the aforementioned equally Anchorseal but it performs exactly the same. First-class.

Ash

Had 3 copse taken down and milled into lumber. This production is great, easy to apply and clean up. I fully expect my boards to take no end-checking after they dry out.

I'm new to this and as you lot can see I bought the smaller canteen and applied using castor on the freshly cut ends on all 10 of them while I expect for them to dry out and eventually make them into cutting boards and or to plow them into bowls. Each one of these averages in 1′ 2″ to ane′ 5″ in diameter and I withal take some left over. I notices some sap coming through later in the day and I brushed more on them. Easy make clean equally instructed used hot water only to clean my castor. So far so adept. Thanks to one of the Rockler sales rep. who introduced me to this stuff. I am definitely going to buy more than of this stuff.

You can e'er encounter what'due south new at Wood Turning Basics!